Documents and Resources

Community Resources for COVID-19

Tenant Information:

The COVID-19 pandemic is significant, and in some cases, devastating impact to all who call San Marcos home. Questions have been raised about leases and paying rent when businesses have closed, jobs ended, and Texas State is now virtual learning. By law, a lease is a contractual agreement between a tenant and a landlord/management company. A lease continues to be in effect unless a deal is privately worked out between the tenant and landlord/management company. Unfortunately, the City of San Marcos and Texas State University do not have the legal authority to change or cancel a lease agreement between a tenant and landlord. 

If you are a student living off-campus and decide to leave San Marcos, it is strongly recommended you begin communications with your landlord/management company. If you leave your rental for the rest of the semester, you are making a personal and voluntary decision to do so and the lease terms remain in effect.

An immediate source of relief for Hays County tenants is Justice of the Peace Courts placing all evictions on hold until after May 8th. This delay gives additional time to work with a landlord/management company on possible options. Send your landlord/management company a certified letter (not email) and state if you have lost your job or your wages reduced, the efforts taken to contact potential resources to help pay the rent, and suggestions for an alternative payment plan due to the COVID-19 financial distress. The letter is not a guarantee of any adjustment to the lease agreement. It is a starting place for negotiations.

If you have a specific question about a lease or the eviction process, contact the Austin Tenants’ Council at (512) 474-1961. 

Landlord - Tenant Concerns

Below are quick links to information regarding common landlord-tenant concerns and ways to report issues.

Austin Tenants Council

Austin Tenants Council programs focus on housing discrimination; tenant-landlord education and information; and housing repair and rehabilitation.

Volunteer Legal Services Central Texas

VLS can help with civil matters only such as consumer, employment, family, housing, landlord-tenant, bankruptcy, expunctions and non-disclosures, probate, real property, and wills cases. VLS is unable to help with criminal, immigration, contested probate, or fee-generating cases such as personal injury matters.

Central Texas Dispute Resolution Center

The Central Texas DRC mediates cases in three primary areas: Community Disputes, Civil Cases and Family, Divorce and Child Custody cases.