Blanco Gardens Drainage Improvements - CDBG-DR
Project Name: Blanco Gardens Drainage Improvements
Project Number: CDBG-DR
Project Manager: Jacquelyn Thomas
Current Design Phase: 95%
Construction Estimate: $9,000,000
Construction Start Year: 2021
Project Information: The Blanco Gardens Drainage Improvement Project will provide new underground and open channel stormwater improvements to alleviate the flooding experienced in the Blanco Gardens neighborhood in the historic 2015 flood events. The Preliminary Engineering Report and 90% Design Phase have been completed for this project. The first phase of the Project includes moving neighborhood overhead electric and telecommunications lines into underground conduit since underground utility service is less prone to outages during storm events. This work will take place in the alleyways parallel to Barbara and Conway. These underground lines will replace the overhead service lines presently connecting to property owners so City contractors will need to access your property to complete this work. City staff will be sending out letters and automated voice messages to property owners and residents in the alleyways that are affected by the proposed construction within the Drainage Easement and Public Utility Easements in the Alleyways. This letter will highlight the current status of removal and replacement of items in the alleys and includes a request for Temporary Right of Entry (TROE) for your property, which is a common document used in construction projects, and will allow the surveyors to access your property to mark the PUE and any items that would obstruct construction within your fence line. It also grants your permission to allow the conversion from overhead to underground to be constructed on your property from the alley/PUE to your meter.
Recommendations for this project include:
- The addition of new storm sewer systems along Conway Street, Barbara Drive and River Road.
- New inlets along River Road that connect to an existing channel parallel to the Woods Apartments is proposed to relieve the existing storm system.
- Installation of concrete channels within the alleyways parallel to Barbara and Conway to connect to stormwater pipes in River Road. These improvements will carry the stormwater more effectively to a new outfall to the San Marcos River.
- Channel work along River Road at Animal Shelter Road is under construction and street regrading along River Road will also be included in the design.
- The project is currently in the Final Design and Environmental Assessment Phase.
- Construction is scheduled to start Spring 2021 and complete Summer 2022.