Resident Resources

COVID-19 Rent, Mortgage, Utility Assistance Programs

Hays County Emergency Rental Assistance Program

Hays County Commissioners Court recently approved the implementation of a COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERA). This program may help with rental, utility and late fee assistance for applicants who have had difficulty paying rent due to the COVID-19 pandemic and who meet the program criteria. For more information visit the Hays County Emergency Rental Assistance Program website.

Texas Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program (TEMAP) - for residents of Guadalupe County

AACOG may pay up to 6 months of mortgage payments (5 months in arrears and 1 future payment). You may qualify for mortgage assistance:

  • If you live in one of the twelve Alamo Arearural counties
  • If you have been impacted by COVID-19
  • If you are at or below 80% Average median income (AMI)
  • If your mortgage is at or below 150%FMR/SAFMR
  • If your mortgage is in first or second lien position
  • If where you reside is your primary residence

Call 866-231-4922 or e-mail TEMAP to begin the intake process.

FHA COVID-19 Forbearance 

What are FHA loans?

Some home loans are insured by HUD's Federal Housing Administration, your mortgage servicer must follow FHA guidelines when working with these loans. Not sure if your loan is insured by FHA? You can find this information on your mortgage statement or you can call FHA Resource Center at 1-800-225-5342 or email HUD FHA Resource Center.

We understand that many homeowners may be struggling and unable to make mortgage payments due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you or someone you know are one of the many FHA-borrowers having difficulty paying your mortgage due to the pandemic, we urge you to act now. FHA's special COVID-19 mortgage payment forbearance is currently available to FHA-insured borrowers. If you have a reverse mortgage, also known as a Home Equity Conversion Mortgage, you should contact your mortgage servicer for options available to you.

You are eligible for FHA's COVID-19 forbearance (mortgage relief) if:

  • Your mortgage is insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) or,
  • You can't make your payments because you were affected by COVID-19.

If you have not requested FHA COVID-19 forbearance then you can request up to 6 months of forbearance initially and an additional 6 months if you need it. You must request this assistance from your mortgage servicer. 

If you started FHA COVID-19 forbearance on or before June 30, 2020, and need an extension then you are eligible for up to two more 3-month extensions from your mortgage servicer after completing 12 months of COVID-19 forbearance. 

You are not alone during these difficult times. The COVID-19 mortgage payment forbearance is available now so please seek assistance to obtain this option. For more information on this program, visit

Covid-19 Mortgage payment relief banner
Spanish_Covid-19 Mortgage payment relief banner

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau offers resources and assistance to homeowners and renters navigating challenges caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Helpful information is available regarding mortgage payments, rent relief, and landlord support. 

United States Interagency Council on Homelessness

The United States Interagency Council on Homelessness details a comprehensive step-by-step guide for individuals at risk of eviction due to financial challenges related to the COVID-19 pandemic:

  1. Get informed: learn about your rights and check the status of state and local eviction moratoriums 
  2. Reach out: write a letter to landlords using free templates and speak to local housing counselors  
  3. Apply for emergency aid: find information regarding local assistance
  4. Claim pandemic relief: access federal Economic Impact Payments and Child Tax Credits

CDC Guidance on Face Masks

If you have been vaccinated...

The CDC says that fully vaccinated people can resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance.

If you have not been vaccinated...

The CDC recommends that people wear masks in public settings, at events and gatherings, and anywhere they will be around other people. Effective February 2, 2021, masks are required on planes, buses, trains, and other forms of public transportation traveling into, within, or out of the United States and in U.S. transportation hubs such as airports and stations.

Here’s some additional information on how to wear face masks.

Additional Resources for San Marcos Residents

Resources and information are available for San Marcos residents affected by COVID-19. We’ll post links below as they become available during this rapidly-changing situation. Click here for information for tenants and landlords and utility, rent, and mortgage assistance options at a glance. 

Veterans Assistance

Veterans programs may be able to provide rent and utility assistance now to qualifying veterans.

Crisis Counseling and Mental Health Hotlines

Texans Recovering Together COVID-19 mental health support line:  1-888-690-0799

Texas 2-1-1: Dial 2-1-1 to connect with resources offered by Texas Health and Human Services.

Hill Country MHDD Crisis Hotline: 1-877-466-0660

Texas Health and Human Services has launched a 24/7 statewide mental health support line to help Texans experiencing anxiety, stress or emotional challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Visit Texas Health and Human Services for more information.

Here are some tips on how to reduce stress during this time. 

Reduce anxiety with healthy actions such as:
1. Washing your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. 
2. Cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve, arm, or elbow if you don’t have a tissue.
3. Disinfect any objects or surfaces that may have come into contact with germs.

Ways to feel more calm: 
1. Realize that it is understandable to feel anxious and worried about what may happen, especially when many aspects of life are being affected.
2. If you find that you are getting more stressed by watching the news, reduce your exposure, particularly prior to sleep.
3. Try yoga, exercising, listening to music, or doing puzzles. Keep the mind occupied when you have free time.

Here are more resources to help:

Doing Business with the City Remotely

Many important tasks, such as paying utility bills, can be handled online. The City’s Utility Payment Services Department has implemented changes to its normal processes to assist customers. Read more here.

COVID-19 Funeral Assistance

The application period for COVID-19 Funeral Assistance begins on Monday, April 12, 2021. You must apply over the phone at 844-864-6333 on or after April 12, 2021. FEMA will not accept online applications.

If you intend to apply for this assistance, you should gather the necessary documentation before you apply. Refer to COVID-19 Funeral Assistance for more information.

If you would like to volunteer your services and time, visit the National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster . For information about COVID-19 vaccines, visit the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) COVID-19 Vaccines or dial 2-1-1 for the United Way or visit

Hays County Food Bank

Hays County Food Bank will be offering drive-thru pick up service. Some important reminders: please don’t attend a distribution if you are sick. The Food Bank offices are closed to the public and all nutrition classes are canceled until the end of April. Please call to schedule a donation drop-off, 512-392-8300. Check their social media and website for updates and helpful information.

Central Texas WIC

For the latest resources and information on the Central Texas WIC Program, including temporary and permanent changes to WIC-approved foods, follow their Facebook page

Texas Department of Health and Human Services

Texas Health and Human Services has multiple resources available to people who qualify. For more information visit their website

Workforce Solutions Rural Capital Area

Visit the Workforce Solutions website for employers, workers, labor issues and unemployment benefits.

San Marcos CISD Remote Learning

For more information visit the San Marcos CISD Remote Learning website.  

Texas State University Information

Information for Texas State University students, faculty and staff is posted on the Texas State University website.

San Marcos Public Library Resource Guide

The San Marcos Public Library has created a COVID-19 Resource Guide for our community. In it you can find important updates and information about health, school closures, food resources, local agencies and organizations, and volunteer opportunities.

Virtual Recreation Center

It is your place for recreation, leisure, education, and resources through COVID-19. We are committed to ensuring that our community has resources to maintain healthy and meaningful lives. Check out the Parks and Recreation Dept.'s Virtual Recreation Center

Your Money: A Hub for Help during the Coronavirus Crisis (from NY Times)

Find info about IRS/taxes, Housing/evictions and Unemployment, plus much more on the NY Times website.

United Way of Hays and Caldwell Counties

United Way of Hays and Caldwell Counties has reinstated their disaster relief fund to assist those affected by the COVID-19 virus, particularly economically, in Hays and Caldwell counties.  They are working with their partners to distribute these funds directly to those in need throughout Hays and Caldwell Counties in the coming days, weeks and months. There is not currently a process for the public to apply for these funds.  United Way asks that members of the public be patient as they raise the critical dollars to assist as many of our community members as they can.

If you would like to help your neighbors in need, please visit the United Way of Hays County website and follow the link to donate. Donations can also be made by simply texting UWHAYS DISASTER to 313131 and following the instructions in the reply text.  Those wishing to donate by check can do so by sending your donation to UWHC, PO BOX 1728, San Marcos, TX  78667.  Please be sure to write “Disaster Relief Fund” on your check to ensure that your donation goes directly to those in need.

Aunt Bertha is a free service that shows by zip code many organizations that can assist in a variety of ways, such as food, medical care, job training, and more.

Printable info sheets