Trash Collection & Recycling
Residential Services & Single Stream Recycling
The City of San Marcos contracts with Texas Disposal Systems to provide weekly residential garbage collection (black lid cart). TDS also collects single stream recycling (tan lid cart) and compost collection (all yard waste and soiled paper into the green lid cart) for single family homes every other week. Apartment complexes receive recycling services once a week.
Residential Home Services
- Please place your cart out by 7 a.m. on the day of collection. Carts may be placed out for service no earlier than 7 p.m. the night before your collection day and should be retrieved from the curb by 9 p.m.
- Place your cart on the curb, not on the sidewalk. Be considerate of your neighbors right to use the sidewalks. Make sure the cart can be lifted and the path is clear of any obstacles so the garbage truck may service it.
- Recycle Calendar: Use the map link (PDF) to find out if you are in the A (white week) or B (grey week) scheduled area.
- Green Waste Cart Service: using the service calendar and your trash service day
- Mondays and Tuesdays trash service: green waste cart serviced on Wednesdays (white weeks)
- Wednesdays trash service: green waste cart serviced on Tuesdays (white weeks)
- Thursdays and Fridays trash service: green waste cart serviced on Wednesdays (grey weeks)
- What's My Route? Review the Trash and Single Stream Recycle Route Map.
- If your trash doesn't fit in your cart, you may:
- Request an extra TDS trash cart for an additional $6.11 per month
- Request an extra TDS recycle or green waste cart for an additional $5.82 per month
- Purchase garbage tags for $5.82 each at City of San Marcos Community Services Department at 401 East Hopkins
- To request additional carts please contact Solid Waste and Recycling at 512-393-8407
- Put all your recyclables into the cart with the tan lid, no need to sort them!
- Do not put your recyclables in a plastic bag in your cart - must be loose in the cart.
- Single Stream Recycling Items:
- Acceptable Recyclables:
- Glass: Bottles of any color, unbroken
- Paper: Newspaper, office paper, junk mail, magazines, boxboard, and cardboard
- Plastic: Rigid plastic jugs, bottles, and containers Numbers 1-7
- Tin and Aluminum: Food or beverage cans
- Material Not Accepted:
- Ceramics, light bulbs, or mirrors
- Containers with food in them
- Disposal plastic bags
- Metal clothes hangers
- Oven safe or plastic meat trays
- Pizza boxes
- Styrofoam of any type
- Acceptable Recyclables:
Brush & Bulky Waste Pickup
Call 800-375-8375 to schedule a day ahead!
- Request a bulk/brush pick up - limited to 3 cubic yards, 4 times per year per residence
- Free bulky/brush waste pickup: (furniture, appliances, yard waste) may be scheduled for your collection day the first and third full weeks of the month by calling Texas Disposal System at 800-375-8375 by 2 p.m. the previous business day. Branches less than 5 inches in diameter must be cut to 4- foot lengths, tied and bundled, weighing no more than 35 pounds; branches that are not tied and bundled or over 5 inches in diameter will not be picked up.
TDS Landfill Access
- Landfill Access: San Marcos customers may take up to 5 cubic yards of yard waste to TDS Landfill, (3016 FM 1327 Buda, TX 78610) one day each month at no additional charge. Only yard waste like branches or bags of leaves will be accepted, no other bulky items are permitted.
- You must take your driver's license and a copy of your utility bill showing you pay for garbage service and make sure you cover the load with a tarp.