The City of San Marcos fosters a vibrant economic climate for our community through new commercial and residential uses, education, workforce development, and support of new and existing businesses of all sizes.
Outcome Statement: Encourage the development of a diverse economy through technical and financial assistance to businesses that invest in the community to enhance the lives of our residents.
I. Implement Legacy Business Program and other incentives adopted in the Economic Development Policy.
- This program will be available in fall of 2023.
II. Explore menu of economic development options.
- BIG grants, Legacy Business Program, Sustainable Resources Grants, Small Business Retention Incentive, the Main Street Incentive Grant, and the Downtown Co-Marketing Fund are ongoing programs with funding available for local businesses.
- Chapter 380 grants, Economic Development Supplemental Fund, and Speculative Building Incentive are ongoing programs with funding available for prospective businesses.
- The city has procured services from BLC and Riparius to augment workforce and entrepreneurship development efforts.
Outcome Statement: Facilitate opportunities for job training and educational programming through partnerships.
I. Work with community partners on outreach for job fairs and other employment opportunities.
- HVAC class will graduate in July. All 14 students will finish the program. Library staff presented a class on resumés and job searching. We invited local HVAC companies to interview prospective employees. Accounting class graduated and students were provided with information about the job assistance provided by the library.
II. Identify challenges and unmet needs in the business community that are impacted by workforce development.
- Discussions with Texas State University related to aviation degree programs are underway with good progress being made.
- $1 Million Cups San Marcos promotes small business and entrepreneurship and meets monthly at the library.
- Training and hiring has been delayed by the solar company. Elevation HR is in contact with the library and will re-engage at a future date.
III. Determine where to invest City funding to mitigate gaps and barriers that have been identified, including a possible training location and regular access to workforce development resources on the east side.
- Business Leadership and Interpersonal Skills is a class taught in Spanish. Liderazgo-Habilidades Interpersonales teaches students to tranform their behaviors and supports new tools to communicate, manage, and build successful professional relationships. Max. COSM Cost $4,500 for 28 class sessions attended by 18 participants and taught by ACC.
Outcome Statement: Diversify and deliberately expand for a prosperous economy.
I. Actively participate in the recruitment and retention of businesses in San Marcos utilizing the Economic Development San Marcos (EDSM) board and City Council to vet potential incentives.
- The next Economic Development San Marcos (EDSM) board meeting is scheduled for October.
Outcome Statement: Actively support and attract diversified business activity, including local and emerging small businesses, to thrive and expand in our community.
I. Increase exposure of local businesses.
- River Park signage installed that includes arrow to downtown for shopping/dining
II. Assist emerging and existing small business, including non-traditional, through grant assistance and technical support.
- Planning & Development Services is coordinating with Economic Development and Main Street to assist two local businesses.
Outcome Statement: Expand and support responsible tourism programs to promote local commerce.
I. Identify promotional opportunities with area stakeholders to highlight City attractions.
- San Marcos brochures are provided and delivered to Berry Aviation, located at the San Marcos Regional Airport.
II. Identify areas needing enhancement for a cohesive visual look for the City, including within corridors and gateways.
- The design contract for the gateway monument signs has been approved. Destination Services is updates the concepts for final Council approval.