Scott Gregson - Place 5
Scott Gregson was sworn in to represent the citizens of San Marcos on November 18th, 2015, and currently serves as Deputy Mayor Pro Tem.
Councilman Gregson dedicates his time on council to ensure that current and future explosive growth is not followed with an expensive price tag. For Mr. Gregson, reducing urban sprawl, creating meaningful solutions to develop workforce housing, stemming traffic congestion, keeping taxes low, and increasing city services are top priorities. While growth is inevitable, he remains a strong advocate for protecting our fragile environment and maintaining the unique charm of our city.
With an extensive career in business finance and as a small business owner, local investor and long- time community advocate, Mr. Gregson brings a unique expertise and knowledge to the council dais on key issues vital to the success of our city and to each of our citizens which include:
- Creating meaningful employment and careers for our citizens, including graduates of our local high schools, community colleges, and Texas State University
- Assuring that all economic development incentives result in positive outcomes for all our citizens
- Demanding sound fiscal policy in all decisions to ensure that taxes are kept low while continuing to provide high level city services and public safety to all citizens
Mr. Gregson’s Record of Accomplishments:
- An outspoken advocate in the creation, crafting and adoption of a new comprehensive flood ordinance designed to protect current and future neighborhoods and businesses
- Led the effort to ensure quality development by championing an increase in material standards for all commercial structures
- Introduced, along with Mayor John Thomaides, and achieved unanimous passage of a living wage policy that requires all companies receiving tax incentives from the city pay at a minimum, a living wage, with benefits that include health insurance
- Voted to support an almost four-year community driven effort to implement policies that safeguard our pristine natural assets in both existing and to-be-developed single family neighborhoods
- Works to ensure that the inevitable growth within our community pays for itself and doesn’t represent a constant burden on our existing residents
- Remains hyper aware and vigilant of the city’s fiscal investments while accommodating both organic and planned growth
Mr. Gregson has been a downtown resident for just over a decade and has resided and invested in the community for the past 18 years. His commitment to the citizens of San Marcos expands far beyond the dais and the walls of City Hall. In addition to several Council related committees and boards, Councilman Gregson currently serves on the following boards and committees:
- Chairman of the Central Texas Medical Center (CTMC) Hospice Board
- CTMC Foundation Board of Directors.
- Hays and Caldwell County United Way Board of Directors
- Treasurer, LBJ Museum of San Marcos
- Chair, San Marcos Regional Airport Advisory Board
- Board Member, San Marcos Economic Development Board
- Board Member, San Marcos Industrial Development Corporation.
- Member, San Marcos Downtown Association
Councilman Gregson’s past commitments to the City of San Marcos:
- President, San Marcos Downtown Association
- Vice Chair, Citizens Utility Advisory Board
- Chairman, Main Street Advisory Board
- Board Member, Partners for Progress Regional Economic Development Board
- Chair, 2013 Charter Review Commission
- Member, San Marcos Downtown Master Plan Task Force
- Board Advisor, San Marcos Leadership Board of Directors
Originally from Garrison, Texas, Mr. Gregson earned a bachelor’s degree magna cum laude in finance from Texas A&M in 1978 and a master’s degree in business administration from Harvard University in 1982. He has two grown children, Laura Leka and Tyler Gregson and is the proud grandpa to his granddaughter, Ryan Elizabeth Leka.