Lateral Entry Program
In an effort to attract experienced police officers, we are offering a lateral entry program. This program provides selected candidates with a higher starting salary as outlined below. The determination regarding whether a candidate qualifies for lateral entry will be made during the Chief's Review portion of the Selection Process.
- Be a certified Texas Peace Officer by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE);
- Have at least 4 years prior work experience with similar duties in a comparable law enforcement agency; and
- Must not have had a break in service as a Police Officer of more than 180 days prior to the applicant's examination date.
- The lateral entry program is for pay purposes only and actual work experience in another law enforcement agency will not be considered for promotional eligibility requirements.
- The Chief of Police shall determine eligibility for lateral entry of police applicants. Eligible applicants may be placed up to STEP 3 of the pay schedule (PDF). Officers placed through this lateral entry program will progress through the remaining steps as he/she completes years of service
- Longevity pay will be calculated in the same manner as all Police Officers. No credit will be given to completed years of service in other law enforcement agencies.
- Entry-level police officers placed up to STEP 3 of the pay schedule must also complete a new hire probationary period.
- The Chief of Police's determination of whether an applicant meets the criteria of the lateral entry program and placement in the pay structure shall be final and non-appealable to the Civil Service Commission, arbitrator or to any court.