- Support Services
- Join Our Team!
Join Our Team!
Communications Application Process
Thank you for your interest in the San Marcos Police Department! Our Telecommunications Operators (TCOs) are an integral part of Public Safety in the City of San Marcos, so our hiring process is more extensive than for many other civilian positions.
Texas Commission on Law Enforcement TCOLE is a regulatory State agency that establishes and enforces standards to ensure the people of Texas are served by highly trained and ethical law enforcement, corrections, and telecommunications personnel. In the state of Texas, 9-1-1 Telecommunicators are recognized as first responders and must obtain a TCOLE Telecommunicator License through TCOLE when employed as a Telecommunicator and performing Telecommunicating duties. Agencies in Texas must confirm applicant qualifies to obtain a Telecommunicator License through TCOLE prior to employment. TCOLE Licensing requirements and disqualifiers are separate and in addition to agency-specific requirements and disqualifiers.
Starting Pay Rate with NO Experience
- Additional Base Pay for Each Year of Direct Experience
- $5,000 Sign-on Incentive for TCOLE Licensed Telecommunicators
- $2,500 Hiring Incentive for Other Qualifying Applicants
- $125.00/month Evening Shift
- $225.00/month Midnight Shift
Hiring Process Steps
Each step must be successfully completed in order to progress to the next:
- Application: Please click here to check our jobs page.
- Information Session- Virtual Link Sent to Applicants to View
- Critical Computer Testing- In-person, Virtual Option Coming Soon
- Formal Interview with Oral Board
- Background Investigation
- PHS (Personal History Statement Packet)
- PHS Assigned to Investigator to Work Through Personal and Work History
- Polygraph Packet and Exam
- Conditional Offer of Employment
- Psychological Packet and Exam
- Medical and Drug Screening
- Start Date Determined
Review the links below for more information on our Benefits, Pay-Scales, Schedules, Licensing Requirements, and Disqualifiers
- Benefits and Pay-Scales
- SM 9-1-1 Schedule
- TCOLE Licensing Requirements
- SMPD TCO Employment Disqualifier