The San Marcos Senior Citizen Advisory Board wanted to develop a resource guide for seniors in San Marcos and the surrounding area. In 2017, a survey was sent out, and from the responses to that survey, a local Resource Guide for Seniors was created.
The San Marcos Senior Citizen Advisory Board serves as a 7-member advisory board to the city council, the city manager and other boards and commissions on matters involving senior citizens in the San Marcos community. All members must be residents of the city.
The Senior Citizen Advisory Board seeks to enhance the lives of senior citizens within the San Marcos community through coordinated, efficient and quality programs and services related to housing, jobs, activities, and community life.
1. Determine the existence of current programs and services available to seniors offered through the city as well as public and private providers.
2. Suggest modifications to existing programs as well as new programs and services to assist seniors in reaching their full potential.
3. Analyze the use of existing facilities as well as the need for future facilities.
4. Coordinate efforts with other governmental entities, private citizens, institutions, centers, and agencies.
5. Develop a process that will enable fluid senior citizen input to the Senior Citizen Advisory Board.
6. Develop programs to recognize the achievements and contributions by senior citizens to the San Marcos community.
In an effort to address Goal 1, in a more efficient manner, a Senior Resource Directory, has been developed. It is a database containing information on various services for seniors, non-profit organizations, volunteer opportunities and government agencies, This directory is searchable, and is more accessible and organized than the original Local Resource Guide for Seniors (PDF). More entries will be added as appropriate, so bookmark the page and visit it often.