Joining the Advisory Panel
The rotating membership of the panel consists of at least five (5) citizens from throughout the community who should represent a range of interests and experiences and four (4) members who are department employees from differing areas of the department. Community members should be from diverse backgrounds, including business, education, non-profits, public relations, faith community, and more.
Panel members serve a renewable one-year term. All members serve at the discretion and invitation of the Chief of Police and the City Manager.
Panel members must:
- Be a City of San Marcos resident
- Be a graduate of the San Marcos Police Department Citizen’s Police Academy
- Conduct a ride-along with an SMPD patrol officer
- Not have been convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor offense. Common examples of disqualifying misdemeanors are fraud, theft, and narcotics offenses. These items will be considered by the Chief of Police on a case by case basis.
- Have shown an interest in community and/or civic involvement.