Environmental Health


Environmental Health provides education, enforcement, and develops resources in response to a wide range of issues which affect the environment, health, safety, and the general well-being of our community.


We promote public health and safety to ensure compliance with State and Local Health Codes, by permitting and inspecting a variety of food establishments, On-Site Sewage Facilities (OSSF), along with investigating different types of public health nuisances/issues within the City of San Marcos jurisdiction.

A permit is required in order to sell or serve food, whether at a fixed site, a mobile unit, or a temporary event. 

Permits are valid for one year from date of issuance and must be renewed in order to continue operation. Permit renewal is not automatic. To ensure your permit is processed in a timely manner please complete the application entirely and mail or hand deliver it, along with your required fee, to the Neighborhood Enhancement/ Environmental Health Division at 630 E. Hopkins Street, San Marcos, Texas, 78666. The application is available at the Environmental Health Office or by selecting and downloading the appropriate application below.

Attention: Latest News

Check out our Page

Please check the Environmental Health Division website regularly to stay up to date regarding new information and for public notices.

Email Updates

Please confirm that the Division has a working and available electronic mail (email) address to receive updates about important changes on the Texas Food Establishment Rules and important changes to the Food Establishment Program. The Division looks to utilize this tool to increase communication with license holders.


 The Environmental Health Division inspects Mobile Food Units (MFUs) starting at 9:00 AM on Wednesday mornings.  Inspection site can be found at the Neighborhood Services Building behind the two-story Municipal Building, at 630 East Hopkins. Owners are asked to arrive by 10:30 AM and have the application and payment completed. Owners must provide their self-contained power supply and demonstrate full equipment functionality.

Power and Water sources are not available at the permitting location

Visit with a Registered Sanitarian

To visit with a Sanitarian, please make an appointment to ensure an officer will be available. To report a public health concern or to provide a compliment or a complaint, please call or email us! We'd love to hear from you!